Ah....memories.... :) So last thursday night she made that long walk across the football field...let me start with this though...it was planned to be outside....days before we know the weatherman says it's going to rain that day....and that evening some....that day when it was time to leave it was raining and I thought for sure they had moved it to the gym cause they were supposedly going to have it ready for plan b if needed....so we get there and no it's not in the gym, it's still outside....we walk out there with our umbrella and towels in hand...not too many people there yet - we were like more than an hour early - mom had already saved us seats (she got there over 2 hours early and had already sat in the pouring rain once) so we are sitting there and it starts to rain again...not heavy, just a light rain, everyone pulls out their umbrellas...it was a funny sound actually all going out at once...and if no one was around you - you were fine - sitting on your toweled seats, with your umbrella overhead, no problem...but if someone was beside you or behind you, you were probably getting wet from the rain that was falling off of their umbrella....not so great :)
Anyhow - it stopped raining, we all snap our umbrellas back and sit there talking, laughing and saying, "really? it's still going to be outside? seriously? who is in charge!" Then it starts to rain again....and it gets harder....at one point I turn to the people behind me and say, "How many idiots does it take to decide to move the graduation into the gym! Obviously a lot cause we are all still sitting out here in the pouring rain!" It continued to get harder at which point at least half of the people on the field decide to go in the gym thinking surely they will move it and we better hurry to get a seat....there were obviously people who thought it would eventually be moved and went to the gym first cause it was already getting packed!!! So when we all came in - it was definitely almost full and we still had right under an hour I think til time....then someone in charge or someone who knew someone in charge told me that it was definitely going to be outside - they would just delay it until it quit raining enough to have it because the SENIORS wanted it outside....well la ti da! They were all inside and warm while we were sitting in the rain! Easy for them to say!
So - we still sat there for oh about 25 minutes...then we find out it is definitely outside and you better go get a seat....I RAN with all of mine and moms things in hand (She had taken my kids to bathroom) and I'm trying to get through this sea of people (still raining btw) and the bleachers are PACKED....and I'm thinking oh great - we are going to have to stand! And lo and behold I see 4 blue seats empty in that sea of people and realize that my wonderful friend Miss Beverly saved our seats!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so thrilled...so thankfully when the thing FINALLY started about an hour late, no more rain....and it turned out to be a nice little ceremony....fireworks and all :) Ashlyn's valedictorian speech made me tear up - I'm sorry but if someone else cries near me I cry! I got to see some people that I graduated with ELEVEN YEARS AGO!!!! So all in all it turned out ok I guess. Here are a few pics...












No comments:
Post a Comment